Thursday, July 30, 2009

DAY 7 – Sunrise at Schwabachrs, Stampede at Moulton Barn and Jenny Lake

As much as it pained us to do so, we skipped breakfast and drove in the dark to stake out the perfect vantage point at Schwabachers Landing to watch the sun rise on the Tetons. For you non-photographers, this is the quintessential spot for sunrise pictures of the Tetons and I was not about to miss out. However, we almost didn’t make it because of a missing road sign (long story you probably don’t want to hear).
We did arrive about 15 minutes before the sun was officially up. There weren’t any clouds in the sky so we didn’t really miss any of that pre-sunrise spectrum of colors. I didn’t know the area well so I opted not to venture further on this trail and stopped literally in a muddy pool at the edge of a pond that fed into this creek. It was nice and still so the reflections were really nice and there was a thin mist rolling over the top – picture perfect!!
We hung out there for about 45 minutes then moved on to Moulton Barn on Mormon Row just down the road a piece. This is easily one of the most photographed barns in the world and it is easy to see why. With the backdrop of the Tetons, it is irresistible and as picture perfect as can be.
On this particular morning though we were extra blessed because off to the left of us were several small herds of buffalo that periodically stampeded right past the barn. At one point I was inside the open fence line way to the left of the barn and they started coming towards me. John was freaking out thinking I would be trampled to death, but I was determined to get my shots. I think they have crappy eye sight so I made sure to stay really still – that is until John insisted I get out of there. I still think I would have been fine, but I didn’t want him to worry about me.
Sunrise at Schwabachers in all its glory.

This was taken with a fluorescent filter.




From a different vantage point.

Yet another vantage point.

That fluorescent filter again.

Moulton Barn, Mormon Row

A stampede of buffalo and check out how cute the calves are!!


This was where John was freaking out that I would get attacked or trampled.





Before the stampede.





We spotted this moose cow on the way back from Jenny Lake...I had been wanting to see one the entire time I was on vacation and finally, GOLD!!

Again John freaked because I was getting close to it.

Tetons from our hike on the other side of Jenny Lake.


The trail on the back of Jenny Lake.


Big water fall on the trail.

View from the boat.

On the way across the lake.

Getting started across the lake.

A really really friendly chipmunk up the mountain.




Yup, that's him, next to my shoe sniffing for the nut I found on the ground.


Hi Charley Chipmink!

Another bee.

No comments: